1. DisclaimerOur services and resources are for general information purposes only and are not meant as legal or other professional advice. We do not provide legal advice or represent people in court. If you are looking for legal advice or assistance, please refer to our LawCentral Alberta website for a list of legal clinics and services in Alberta.
The information in our services and resources were correct at the time of posting. Be aware that the law or process may have changed, which makes the information outdated at the time you are accessing it.
Using our services and resources is at your own risk. We do not guarantee that viruses or other harmful items do not exist on our services and resources or on the server(s) that make them available.
2. Limiting our responsibility
CPLEA, its employees and directors will not be responsible for any losses, expenses, costs, claims or damages of any kind arising from:
- relying on information on CPLEA services and resources, or
- taking or not taking action because of the information on CPLEA services and resources.
3. Copyright and using our content
All materials on our services and resources (the “material”) are copyright of CPLEA or is freely available in the public domain. The material includes (but is not limited to):
- underlying HTML
- audio clips
- video clips
- software, and
- all other content.
We provide the material for public education purposes only. Commercial use of material from our services and resources, either wholly or partly, is prohibited.
4. Third party websitesAny links to third party websites are for convenience only. These sites are not under our authority. We do not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of information contained in linked websites.
Information on our services and resources may have come from outside sources. We are not responsible for the accuracy and reliability of outside material. Any opinions and views expressed are those of the writers, and do not necessarily reflect our opinion.
5.1 Privacy statement
We are committed to providing users with services and resources that respect their privacy. The security and integrity of our users' personal information is important to us. Personal information means information about an identifiable individual (such as name, phone number or e-mail address). We collect, use and disclose personal information according to Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). More specifically:
- Any personal information we collect remains confidential. We do not share your personal information with others except according to the law.
- We do not collect, use or disclose your personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required by law. We keep personal information only as long as necessary to meet those purposes.
- We do not collect personal information for commercial marketing or distribution to any private organizations.
- If you so request, we will inform you about the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and will give you access to your information.
- We regularly review, and if necessary, revise our privacy practices.
5.2 Activities where CPLEA collects your personal information
You may engage with CPLEA in an activity where we will collect your personal information (such as your name, address, phone number and/or e-mail). Our purpose for collecting your personal information for activities are outlined below:
Purpose for collecting personal information
Messaging us through e-mail or website forms
To respond to requests for information and resources.
Making a publication order via our CPLEA store
To fulfill and deliver orders.
Registering in a secure portion of our websites
To create an account for you to access the website.
Signing up for our newsletters or mailing lists
To make sure our contacts are current and to send you updated information about our organization and/or resources.
Registering for our workshops or online courses
To administer the workshop or course. We may also use any information we collect for program evaluation and/or research purposes.
Our websites do not collect personal information but they do collect general computer or device information. Our server logs http requests (also known as "cookies"). This captures computer or device information, navigation and click-stream data such as the originating IP address of the computer or device. We do this only for statistical purposes.
We also use aggregate data in website administration, planning and security. We use the data to ensure that our websites are robust enough to handle traffic and to understand which of our resource pathways are most used.
5.4 Social media
We post on and engage with users on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. These platforms use behavioral advertising to target our posts to potential users. These platforms collect their own data about you. Check with each platform to opt out of behavioural advertising.
By connecting with us through our social media accounts or posting public comments about us or in response to our social media content, you are providing your consent for us to:
- use any comments or content you submit, and
- make the comments or content available through such sites for promotional purposes without further notice or compensation to you.
Our sites use industry-standard security measures to protect data against loss, misuse and interception by third parties. We periodically review and enhance security policies as necessary. But we assume no liability for interception, alteration or misuse of information transmitted over the Internet or e-mail.
Whenever you disclose personal information online, there is a risk that your information may be intercepted, collected and used. We are not responsible for intercepted information. You transmit information to anyone at your own risk.
We may review links on our websites to third party websites and update the links as necessary. But we cannot guarantee the privacy and security of third party websites.
5.6 More information about privacy
For questions or comments about our privacy practices, contact our Privacy Officer at email@example.com.